Thursday, February 21, 2008

John Chiara: Land's End


I will be M.I.A. from the city this weekend as I journey to the midwest for some much needed SIU-Crew time with Mark, Pat, & Amanda (and apparently Tommy boy, too) in Chi-town. BUT, upon my return, I have yet another gallery exhibit that I would like to attend.

Enter John Chiara, a San-Fran based photog who has a rather unique approach to landscape photography. According to the Von Lintel Gallery website:
Chiara takes stunning landscape photographs that involve much more than what is in front of the camera. They are, in essence, images of photography itself. Chiara operates a hand-built, room-sized camera that is mounted on a flatbed trailer. He works inside the camera, physically becoming a part of the process. During the long exposures, he dodges and burns by passing his hands in front of the camera’s lens. The one-of-a-kind, positive images are then developed utilizing an adapted sewer pipe that he fills with photo chemicals.
Sewage pipes and flatbed trailers? I gotta see this.

VON LINTEL GALLERY
555 W 25th St (bet. 10th and 11th ave)

No comments: