Monday, February 18, 2008

Matthew Rogriguez; an unexpected delight


This past Saturday, Chrissy and I went to more galleries then I can count on one hand (though I think two hands would suffice). We stuck to the exhibits we had predetermined, with the exception of one that was in the same building as Scott Schuman's. I was struck by the window display of a giant, plastic lobster with a huge ashing cigarette in it's pincher, so I decided to explore further. What I found inside won me over. Descriptions written in pencil (sometimes erased and re-written) next to the art work displayed on the walls. "Monsters" that were more endearing than scary. A Christmas tree laid out in the middle of the floor with an angry, cartoonish face at the tip, and a bloody stump at the other end. Colorfully painted 8x8 baking pans. Every piece on display made me smile and laugh, all for different reasons.

Who was behind this feel-good scene? Urban-artist-turned-multi-medium-dabbler Matthew Rodriguez; that's who. Check out more of his art here on Flickr. Even better, check out his exhibit, Scruffy Kitty, at the Rare gallery until March 8th. I hope it makes you smile/laugh, too.

2 comments:

Mark Sperry said...

Graffiti art can be cool. Do you know about Banksy?

Arminda said...

No, but now I do. Clever stuff!